Westfield Primary School is now following the new National Curriculum’s expectations for Mathematics in every year group. “The National Curriculum for Mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.” (National Curriculum 2014)
These documents outline the expectations for children’s knowledge and understanding at the end of each year. The National Curriculum states that “The expectation is that the majority of pupils will move through the programmes of study at broadly the same pace. However, decisions about when to progress should always be based on the security of pupils’ understanding and their readiness to progress to the next stage. Pupils who grasp concepts rapidly should be challenged through being offered rich and sophisticated problems before any acceleration through new content. Those who are not sufficiently fluent with earlier material should consolidate their understanding, including through additional practice, before moving on.” At Westfield Primary School, we pitch the curriculum appropriately to meet the needs of all learners so that they can make good progress and achieve their full potential. To do this, we use practical, concrete resources to embed new concepts and develop children’s mental skills so that they have a real ‘feel for number’. The Written Calculation Policy shows how some of these resources are used. Wherever possible, we make links across the curriculum so that children meet mathematical problems in real-life situations.
Please download some useful maths resources below:
- Year 1 Instant Recall (377KB)
- Year 2 Instant Recall (413KB)
- Year 3 Instant Recall (424KB)
- Year 4 Instant Recall (384KB)
- Year 5 Instant Recall (389KB)
- Year 6 Instant Recall (431KB)
- I Can Talk (348KB)
We have created some videos which demonstrate the models and terminology that we use in Maths at Westfield. Please click on the link below which will take you through to our ‘Westfield Primary School’ you tube channel.
We hope that these video’s demystify Maths so you are able to support your child at home – we’d love to hear how you find them. Miss Branigan would love to hear your feedback! Although we plan to add to the selection of videos over the year, we want the videos to be helpful for you so if there isn’t a video which explains what you need, fill in a pink slip and let Miss Branigan know.